The Railway to Świeradów-Zdrój
Total length: 10.8 km
Level difference: 206 m
Railway track curve radius: from 300 to 800 m, width not exceeding 4.2 m
12 m long steel tracks of profile IIa were used
Average tracks inclination: 19 %
- 1897 - Local authorities under the guidance of the chaffgotsch family, the former owners of Świeradów-Zdrój, make an initial attempt to built a narrow-gauge railway (600 mm) from the town of Mirsk to Świeradów-Zdrój.
- 1899 - The licence for the construction of the narrow-gauge railway from the town of Mirsk to Świeradów-Zdrój expires. Local authorities are unable to begin the investment for financial reasons, the money having been spent on the reconstruction of the health resort of Świeradów-Zdrój following fire.
- 1901 - Allgemeinen Deutschs Kleinbahngeselschaft A.G. of Berlin, Germany applies for a railway construction permit, but, following receipt, construction is not begun.
- 1903 - Hutter, Walter & Co of Hamburg, Germany applies for a railway construction permit and obtains this, but does not begin construction works.
- 23 April 1903 - The President of Silesia Province announces that no railway line is planned for the Izerskie Mts. for several years.
- 2 October 1905 - Eisenbahn Geselschaft Becker & Co of Berlin, Germany applies for a permit to begin preliminary to the construction of a railway. Having received the permit, the company commences on-site work immediately, but a heavy frost prevents continuing.
- March 1906 - Design works is initiated related to the marking of the line on the map.
- 24 September 1906 - The chairman of the community office in Lwówek- Śląski requests that the regional authority in Wrocław (then Breslau) builds a railway line from Mirsk to Świeradów-Zdrój, but his request is denied.
- 1907 - The documentation process is completed and a cost estimate drawn up with a forecast for profitability. Construction cost is estimated at 1.3 m German marks. Given the high costs involved, local authorities endeavour to obtain a loan of 3 m German mark to manage construction tasks independently, but despite great efforts this is not achieved. The sole remaining issue is that of business partners for the enterprise.
- 1907 - Five Vulkan T 33 railway engines are purchased.
- 4 September 1907 - At a session of the Silesian Province the decision is taken to award a loan of 342,000 German marks, with the money being paid in five tranches.
- 1 February 1908 - The Friedeberg-Flinsberger Klein-Aktiengeselschaft joint- venture is established, the decision being taken to exchange narrow-gauge tracks for standard gauge as well as change the name of the company to the Izera Railway joint stock company, with its headquarters in Świeradów-Zdrój at the Rübezahl Hotel (today Hotel Kryształ).
- 5 February 1908 - Regional authorities issue an appropriate construction permit for a new joint venture and railway operation to transport people and goods with the use of steam traction.
- March 1908 - On-site works are begun.
- 1 October 1909 - The first stage of construction is completed in the area of Świeradów-Zdrój, the work involving rock shelves hammered in the slopes of the Kamienicki Ridge and a bridge over the Kwisa River.
- 31 October 1909 - the section from Mirsk to Świeradów-Zdrój is commissioned.
- 29 July 1910 - The section to the Forester Office is completed.
- 1910 - The railway transports 121,966 passengers and 26,977 tons of goods.
- 1928 - The highest number of passengers is transported, at 167,000.
- 31 October 1934 - The ceremonial 25th anniversary of the construction of the Świeradów-Zdrój to Mirsk railway is celebrated.
- 11 February 1996, at 5 pm - The last Świeradów-Zdrój to Mirsk train is dispached amid ceremony, with the final blasts of the whistle ringing out.