The History of Czerniawa-Zdrój
Czerniawa-Zdrój came into being like many other settlements in this part of the Sudeten Mts. In the first half of the 17th century a glassworks was located on the site, with Czech exiles (evangelical refugees) settling nearby in 1651. In 1783 the abundant mineral spring known by the name of Wiktoria was discovered, and close by it six others, although for a long time these went unused. In 1785, a little below Czerniawa, the exploitation of cobalt ores began at the Schaffgotsch mine named for John of Nepomuk, but concluded soon after, in 1787, when the small deposit was exhausted. It was only later, at the beginning of the 19th century, that small therapeutic facilities began to be established, for the needs of which in 1816 outflows of water were captured and in 1826 the first bathtubs introduced. In 1860 a traditional remedy centre was built, with this being replaced in 1910 by a new structure which stands to this day. In January 1976 a science and research centre was established engaged in the study of resistance in children with regard to respiratory conditions and the treatment of children from industrial areas. Czerniawa-Zdrój was among the smallest of the spas in the Sudeten Mts. and in 1973 was combined with Świeradów administratively and in relation to its spa. It lies at a distance of 2 km.